Sheetpan Chicken Dinner

Tuesday 10 October 2017



Sheet pan dinners have really taken off in recent months and that is not really surprising when you think about it.  Everything cooked on one pan at the same time.  What's not to like about that! 


They are especially popular for the smaller family, like mine.  There are only two of us and if I can throw everything onto a baking sheet and cook it all together, that's a real bonus.


The key to their success is making sure that everything is cut approximately the same size so that they cook in roughly the same time.  Take note that harder vegetables usually take a lot longer than softer ones.

 
Interestingly enough, although you might think that broccoli or cauliflower would cook faster than potatoes . . .  they don't!  In fact you will find that in roasting them like this, you get a crispy tender finish.  If that is not something you really like, then I would blanch them first.


The potatoes are perfectly cooked through with just a hint of caramelize edges . . .


The chicken breasts are perfectly cooked through so that they are not over done, or underdone.  They end up done just right . . .  tender and moist.


The mix of spices and herbs that you sprinkle over top, compliment everything, so each article although cooked the same and in the same time, come out tasting really nice.  I think its the cheese. Cheese automatically makes everything better in my books! I know  . . .  I am such a glutton!


*Sheetpan Chicken Dinner*
Serves 2
 
Quick easy and delicious. Perfect for nights when you are feeling uninspired but want somethiing tasty for the table. 

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (I use free range, organic corn fed)
1/2 head of cauliflower or a medium broccoli crown
4 medium red skinned potatoes
60ml olive oil
2 tsp fine sea salt
2 tsp coarse black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp sweet paprika
60g grated Parmesan Cheese 

Preheat the oven to 200*C/400*F/ gas mark 6.  Line a baking sheet with foil and lightly spray with baking spray. Mix together the salt, pepper, garlic and onion powders, and paprika. 

Place the two pieces of chicken in the middle of the pan. Drizzle with 1/2 TBS of the oil, and 1/3 of th spice mixture. Cut the potatoes and vegetables into small chunks. Put ito a bowl and toss together with the remaining oil and spice mixture.  Spread onto the baking sheet around the chicken. Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over all. 

Roast in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes until the potatoes and vegetables are tender and the chicken juices run clear. 

Variations - You can use sweet potatoes cut into  chunks instead of the red potatoes, or a mix of both.  Use Cauliflower, baby carrots, sliced butternut squash or pumpkin for the vegetables. Or even a mixture.  All are very good.  (Today I used half a Romanesco Cauliflower)



I really struggle with getting the lighting right this time of year when the days are getting shorter.  I like to use natural light if I can and that means with the shorter days I need to do my cooking and photography much earlier in the day. Does anyone else struggle with this?  What is your solution?  I don't like using artificial light if I can get away without it.  

In any case this is really tasty.  I appreciate the simple prep and easy clean up.  It makes for a truly faff-free dinner for two. Bon Appetit!

Note - you could certainly cook this for more people by using more than one baking sheet and doubling the quantities.


4 comments

  1. Pump up the ISO and aperture:)
    It is the only way:)

    Aperture start slowly..you can see on the viewing sceen the difference:) Try..

    this looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really tasty Monique. I will have to figure out what ISO and aperture is, lol. Hmm...I better find a tutorial. xo

      Delete
  2. This reminds me of the meals a mom used to have preprepared when I would arrive to babysit her two sons. This single mom (this was in the 70s) was a waitress at a popular restaurant and was very organized. She would have dinner ready for the boys ( and me too if I wanted any) on baking trays sometimes just like this. The boys were about 4 and 6 when I started. I hadn't thought of those meals in years. I wonder how meals like this premade and frozen would to? I've begun making more meals for my parents because its easier for them and some for my niece because she's so busy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure how they would do frozen Pam. You would have to partially or totally cook them first I would think. I'm not sure. What an organized mom that was that you babysat for! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!